Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chicken Soup for the Soul


I LOVE these books.


I think that the Chicken Soup for the Souls books should be required reading for any parent. I read a couple of stories every night, just to put my life in perspective. If the boys are getting on my nerves and I am feeling a little frustrated with them...I read a short story from one of these books. The stories sometimes add a bit of humor to my day and I can laugh. They sometimes give me wisdom I didn't have before, and remind me that my boys won't be small for long...they do grow up. They sometimes just remind me to be thankful for what I have, there are many people out there who have lost their children, or who were never blessed with them at all.


Recently I had a row with my sister (I have two of them, so arguments do happen occassionally) I was feeling upset about it and when I went to Shoppers Drug Mart I noticed a Chicken Soup for the Soul Sister's edition. I bought it. I read it. I laughed, I cried and I really thought about how insignificant our argument had been. Then I wrote comments above and below alot of the short stories. Sometimes funny, sometimes sentimental and sometimes just writing raw emotions. On the inside cover of the book I wrote a note to my sisters, that went something like this...


Next time you are pissed at me, or at your other sister, read this book. Add your comments. Really think about how unimportant whatever it is we are arguing about is. Then give it to them to read. I love you both so much, and I realize how lucky I am to have you both. Now read the stories and remind yourself how lucky we are.


I am thinking when my boys are older, I am going to do something similar. It is important we all realize how to cherish the ones we love, and how to have the humility enough to either apologize or realize that in the grand scheme of things....the small things that bother us really don't matter.

1 Comments:

At November 5, 2007 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Chicken Soup for the Twins' Soul?

Great post. Makes me wish I had sisters.

And I might steal your idea if there is a Chicken Soup for the sibling's soul or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home