Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pollyanna

Recently I decided that it would be good for my kids to help me volunteer somewhere. I thought to myself, my children are really, really blessed/lucky/priviledged, whatever you want to call it (don't call it spoiled because then I can get cranky). They are five years old and I really don't think that they are old enough yet to realize that not everyone their age in the world gets to live in a nice house, have a fully tummy, wear nice clothes and have a playroom that is reminiscent of Toys R Us.

Being the sometimes naive person that I am, I thought to myself, we should help out at our local soup kitchen (St. Vincent's soup kitchen). We drove down there and I was all ready to ladel soup (okay or serve food, I am not that naive that I believe that they only serve soup) and have my children experience a situation that they have never really had to think about before.

We arrived there and went to talk to the volunteer leader...who looked at me like I was insane. She feels that the kids are WAY too young to be introduced to the people in our city that frequent the soup kitchen, she reminded me that the local Meth Clinic is practically right beside the kitchen and alot of the clientele are some unsavory type of people. Right. I forgot about that.

Loading my kiddies back into the car, feeling a little embarrassed that I hadn't really thought about the whole situation we came home. I told my hubby what I had done, and he called me Pollyanna (like the old Disney movie), he said that I see the world through rose coloured glasses and I need to take them off occassionally and see the world the way it is. Isn't that awful? We are the perfect Ying and Yang, he tends to be the Realist and I tend to be...well...Pollyanna like. I hope our kids turn out to be a good combination of both, because sometimes it's really nice to look at the world and see only the good in people and not always be suspicious of their motives.

So after that whole situation, we signed up to volunteer somewhere else. In our local old age home. My kids might not be able to see people less fortunate then themselves, but at least they will still be helping in their community. Maybe we will save the soup kitchen for when they are a bit older.

5 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

You have such a big heart, Koll, and I'm sure the boys have inherited it from you and Derek. You are such thoughtful parents to teach such an important lesson!

Assertagirl

 
At March 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Let me know how this goes. I am to the point where I want to introduce my kids to a volunteer/service committment, but don't know what to do. They are 5 and 6.

I have heard of so many families serving together at soup kitchens, I would have thought that was a good idea, too. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

KEEP BELIEVING

 
At March 19, 2008 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Mrs. Hammer Time said...

Hey,
You don't know me, and I can't even remember how I found the link to your blog, but I've been reading you for a little while.
I wanted to say that I think, even if it WAS "Pollyanna" like, you certainly had the right idea in exposing your kids to a world many people would rather ignore and shut out. Kudos to you!

 
At March 19, 2008 at 9:48 PM , Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

The nursing home is actually where I was going to suggest. Their youth and innocence will bring joy to the elderly there that we can only imagine. And it WILL teach about people less fortunate than them. Some of those people have no family that cares for them, or that live very far away. Some are living completely in the moment due to dimentia or alzheimer's and need to see young faces and hear laughter...

Being Pollyanna is NOT a bad thing. Don't get disheartened!

 
At March 21, 2008 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

good for you. It is always nice to see people trying to help and teaching their children too. Such an example!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home