Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Apologies

I am just posting this as an apology to anybody I offended with my last post. I posted about my "master plan" . I only posted it as a lighthearted jest, and from the comments I have recieved I now realize that they were not very sensitive.

There are a couple of lovely women that have posted comments who actually have adopted children and I cannot express enough how wonderful I think they are. I think it is a great thing to adopt children and create a new family with them. A very, very good friend of mine has recently adopted a daughter and I see how strong she is and what a wonderful future she has given that little girl. What a gift.

As one other person commented on my post I should "step over my white picket fence" and see what the world is really like. I know what the world is really like and I perhaps felt my blog was an okay place for me to joke around in, I understand to some people this isn't a joke and I do feel very badly that I offended them.

If I knew more about blogs and knew how to post links to the lovely ladies that commented on my posts, I would..but I am a newbie and don't, so go look at the comments and click on their names and visit their blogs, they are really interesting and motivating.

One last question that was asked of me was why I didn't feel like I could adopt a child. The answer to that is hard, I don't know if I am a strong enough person to go through the ups and downs of adopting. My girlfriend who has recently adopted the daughter I mentioned has gone through many, many downs and stressful times before actually recieving the great gift that is her daughter. I also don't know if I could afford (financially) to have more children.

I hope I haven't rambled too much...this is my first internet apology so I hope it was up to snuff. Anyhow, got to go and make some dinner now, this has been on my mind since I read the comments yesterday and I just felt awful and wanted to explain...I hope i haven't made things worse.....

7 Comments:

At April 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Jenelle said...

Wow. I came across your blog tonight, and must admit, I was surprised that you offended people with your previous post. You were obviously being silly, but I guess I can see how some people might get upset with the idea. I think it's a great apology though.

I agree with you adoption comments--I had some fertility issues (thankfully have a little boy now!) and checked into it awhile back. It would be so hard to think you had a baby, then it could be taken away, etc. not to mention financial aspects!

Anyway, nieces are awesome! You'll have lots of fun spoiling her.

 
At April 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

You are awesome. Your post was funny and your apology was eloquent (not that I thought you needed to provide one). In short, you're one classy broad.

Assertagirl

 
At April 4, 2008 at 3:01 AM , Blogger Family Adventure said...

Oh sweetie, you were just being silly. You didn't mean any harm to anyone, and you made that clear even in the comments on your previous post.

About adoption: I would love to adopt, but my husband has concerns about it, including the issue of having some bio children and one/some not. He fears the kids would feel unequal. I think that would not be the case, but it is hard to know until you tread those waters.

So I guess we're back to sharing your niece, huh??

Big hugs to you - Heidi

 
At April 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM , Blogger Beth Cotell said...

I don't think you needed to make an apology. Clearly you were being funny.

And the guy that left the jerky comment, I think was trying to be funny as well. (Trying is the key word here!) His blog looks very tongue in cheek so I wouldn't give his comments a second thought.

It was nice of you to apologize but it's your blog, your space. No apologies necessary!

 
At April 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM , Blogger The RockStar said...

Here it goes. I am a father to eight. Five biological, a son and daughter from Russia and another son domestically adopted. We are currently in process of adopting from Liberia, and recently had a failed adoption of two beautiful young ladies in the country of Haiti after going there and meeting them thanks to a shady organization we were dealing with.

Adoption is tough, it is grueling, both emotionally and financially. Whenever I hear of someone adopting/trying to adopt I do everything I can to support them as the journey is very rewarding, but never easy.

If you read all my other comments you would realize these were the first negative ones I had ever left. I was not trying to be funny. In the slightest. The post literally turned my stomach. To me orphans are a serious issue, not a joking one. Would I have been upset if this author wished her sons married nice Italian girls for the extremely good food ... of course not!

All that said, I understand it was supposed to be a funny post ... it's just if all of us died tomorrow and our children lived ... how would we want them to be respected and cared for in the world? I am probably more sensitive to this than those who are not in the orphan/adoption world ... I understand that.

Good job on your friends rallying around you and circling the wagon :-) I think they are wrong as well regarding this as a lighthearted subject matter, but again ... your opinions ... free country :-)

Please understand that I did not want to start a fight, I just wanted to change a mind or two. I will now leave you all in peace.

 
At April 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

As a mother of two adopted children, I thought your last post was silly and light-hearted. As a mother of two boys (only), I could relate. Maybe you offended someone who didn't appreciate your silliness, but the pain is the fact that as a mothers of only boys, we won't have that same invitiation into their lives as you would with a daughter. I feel it. I am sorry you felt the need to apologize for anything you have written on your platform at your house.

KEEP BELIEVING

 
At April 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

I'm kinda late to this but I just wanted to say that I found nothing at all offensive about your last post. It was very classy of you to apologize in the way you did but seriously I think your gentleman detractor could find...oh...about 5 billion more offensive things on the internet towards which he could more effectively direct his energy. HUGS.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home