Saturday, March 29, 2008

Courts are NOT Environmentally Friendly

Last September my mom was accused of shoplifting by an overzealous Loss Prevention officer at our local grocery store. He yelled at her that she was a thief,that she stole a case of pop, he embarrassed her in front of her peers, dragged her into the store, only to find....that she had paid for it and the cashier had just forgotten to put a sticker on it.

Instead of apologizing to her he told her to "get lost". Nice. After calling and complaining to the store she was told that the LP officer just needed "more training". Nice. Still no apology.

My poor mom has been absolutely mortified and devestated that this happened to her. So I told her she should sue the company that the LP officer works for. She agreed (keep in mind in all of her 53 years she has NEVER sued anyone, and neither have I). So I agreed to be her representative in small claims court.

You would not beleive how much paper needs to be filed. I swear I have killed a small forest with all of the papers that need to be filled out, filed and mailed. It is just crazy.

When I went to the court house the other day to file yet another set of papers I saw our file...it is at least a foot thick!

I apologize to the paper Gods, you would think in this day and age there would be something you could fill out online. Anyway, I just printed off another stack of papers and am thinking that all this paperwork would be enough to dissuade most people from representing themselves in court themselves. Maybe this is why Lawyers get paid so much...to cover the cost of paper!

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2008 at 8:06 AM , Blogger BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe your poor mom had to go through something like this!

The court system definitely needs an overhaul...so much red tape. It's crazy!

 
At March 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

Is there a settlement yet?

Assertagirl

 
At March 29, 2008 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Family Adventure said...

Ugh! Sometimes I think the bureacracy is just a way to keep us from standing up for what's right. Hang in there!

Your poor, poor mom :(

Heidi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home